You and your family are unique, and your session will be, too! Here are some things that can help you to prepare for your session:
What should I wear??
This is a question that I get asked quite a bit! Wear clothes that you are comfortable in and make you feel confident. If you have scheduled a children's session, feel free to bring multiple outfits for them to wear and try to have them be comfortable in whatever they are wearing. In family sessions, wear clothing that compliments each other. You do not have to be "matchy-matchy", but if that is the look that you are going for, do it! :)
Should I bring anything?
You do not have to bring anything, unless you want certain items in your photographs. That being said, with children's sessions, bringing a few things doesn't hurt: extra clothes, their favorite toy (this can make for AWESOME shots), a snack and something to drink. Modeling is hard work! :) I just ask that the snacks and drinks be ones that don't stain clothing or teeth. If you want to bring a special treat for your little ones, it's best to give it to them after the session.
What is the general "flow" of the session?
I like to take the first 10-15 minutes talking to you and your family so that we can all get a bit more comfortable with each other. This is especially important with children. They need to know that although I might be a stranger, I'm okay to talk to and smile at! I will also provide you with the physical contract if it has not been signed prior to the session taking place. (The "fine print" is on the bottom of this page). Once I feel like we've made a connection, we can start with the camera! I like to talk to people as the session goes on so that I can get real emotions. With children, it's important that they feel comfortable with me, and I'll keep establishing a connection with them throughout the session. I have quite a few tricks up my sleeve to get a child to look at me and smile, so don't feel pressured to work to get your child to smile. Just sit back and relax! Once I feel like we've gotten the shots, our session will be complete! Some sessions can take a little longer than others, and that's okay! I'd rather take a little bit more time to get the shots than have you feel rushed.
What happens after the session is complete?
Once we're done with the session, I will begin the editing process. This can take me up to two weeks, but I will usually post a preview within 24-48 hours. I post all of my previews onto my Facebook page and/or Instagram, unless we have specifically agreed that your photos will not be used on social media. If you choose to not have your photos on social media, I will put your preview in a password protected gallery so that you can see it. After I am done editing your photos, I will put them up on my website and send you an e-mail to let you know that they're done, along with instructions on how to access them.
What does the contract say?
This is a direct copy of the "fine print" in my contract. I have posted this on this page to allow you to read over it before the session.
After our session, I will review each photograph and select one of my favorites to put up online for you to preview. By signing below, you are providing permission for me to post the pictures online. If you do not want your photos on social media, please indicate that request below your signature. Portraits that are not put on social media may still be used in print and other marketing materials, unless otherwise noted. All images are copyrighted to Fluttering Shutter Photography.
1. The session retainer fee is non-refundable and due at the time of booking. Session fee covers the time and talent of the Photographer. Session fee does not include prints, products or digital images, unless otherwise noted. Upon receipt of retainer, Photographer will reserve the time and date agreed upon.
2. Cameras (including phones) or recording devices are prohibited from being in use during the session.
3. Client is responsible for their own safety and actions while at the location of the portrait session. Photographer is not responsible for any liability, accidents, illnesses, damage or loss to person or property that may result from the photography session itself or anything related to the photography session.
4. If anyone should fall ill, contact the Photographer as soon as possible to reschedule the session. A new date must be discussed and decided upon with photographer within 2 weeks of original session date. If, in the opinion of the Photographer, inclement weather or other adverse conditions prevent the creation of a portrait meeting the artistic standards of the Photographer, Photographer may elect to use an alternate location or to reschedule the session.
5. If the Photographer cannot perform this contract due to fire or other casualty, strike, act of God, or other cause beyond the control of the parties, or due to Photographer’s illness or emergency, and Photographer is unable to reschedule the session, then the Photographer shall return any deposit or session fee to the client but shall have no further liability with respect to the contract. This limitation on liability shall also apply in the event that photographic materials are damaged in processing, lost through camera or media malfunction, lost in the mail, or otherwise lost or damaged. In the event the photographer fails to perform for any other reason, the photographer shall not be liable for any amount in excess of the retail value of the client’s order.
Proofing and Ordering
6. Within approximately two to three weeks of your session, all photographs will be edited and ready for final viewing. Images are selected and edited at the Photographer's discretion. The artist reserves the right to edit and release only those images deemed creditable as professional in quality and within the Photographer's artistic standards. Un-edited or RAW images are not available for viewing or purchase.
7. If Client is dissatisfied with the gallery images, notice must be sent to photographer within 24 hours of the gallery being viewed. A re-shoot may be scheduled, solely at the discretion of the Photographer, as quickly as reasonably possible, and all images from the first gallery will be deleted. Re-shoots will not be offered due to uncooperative clients, hair or wardrobe choices.
8. Any arbitration shall occur in Loudoun County, Virginia.
9. Purchased images are kept on file by Photographer for 1 year after portrait session. Images that have not been purchased are permanently deleted after 1 year. Every effort is made to secure equipment back-up, however due to the unreliability of digital equipment, data loss can occur at any time; except as explained herein, Photographer shall not be liable for any loss of digital data whatsoever.
10. No part of any order will be delivered until the balance is paid in full.
11. Print issues (i.e. damage during shipping, discoloration of photo, missing items) must be reported to the photographer within 7 days of receiving order for the issue to be resolved. Order corrections will not be completed after the 7 day time period.
12. Fluttering Shutter Photography strives to provide heirloom quality products to clients, however, client should be aware that color dyes in photography may fade or discolor over time due to the inherent qualities of dyes, and client releases photographer from any liability for any claims whatsoever based upon fading or discoloration of any photographs.
13. The Photographer is not responsible for the quality of images that are not printed through Fluttering Shutter Photography.
Notice of Copyright
It is illegal to copy or reproduce these photographs or videos elsewhere without photographer’s permission, and violators of this Federal Law will be subject to its civil and criminal penalties, starting at $500.00 per image. The included images may not be entered into contests, sold, copied, scanned, or used commercially in any format, digital, printed or otherwise. The images may not be used in any form other than private usage without express written permission from the copyright owner,Fluttering Shutter Photography. Fluttering Shutter Photography retains all publication and general reproduction rights for these images. Images shared on social media as previews may not be cropped or altered in any way.
I ("Client") hereby grant to Fluttering Shutter Photography ("Photographer") and her employees, legal representatives, transferees and assigns, the irrevocable and unrestricted right to use and publish photographs of me and the people listed above, or photographs in which I or the people listed above may be included, for editorial, trade, advertising, commercial, publicity, illustration and any other lawful purpose and in any manner and medium; to alter the same without any restriction; and to copyright the same for Photographer's sole and exclusive use and benefit. I hereby release Photographer and her employees, legal representatives, transferees and assigns from any and all claims and/or liability relating to said photographs. I further release Photographer and her employees, legal representatives, transferees and assigns from any and all claims and/or liability relating to all photography sessions.
This contract incorporates the entire understanding of the parties. Any modifications of this contract must be in writing and signed by both parties.